Saturday 24th October 2020



And back to Kent we went, this time Sittingbourne was the destination. There were two changes to the starting line up from Ashford United game last Tuesday, Briggs Ojemen and Ryan Gondoh in for the injured Ryan Atkinson and Helge Orome. It didn’t start well for Leafe, Sittingbourne taking the lead after just 1 minute taking most people by surprise including most of the fans, myself included, at opposite end to the goal who can’t really tell you what happened. The next 10-15 minutes there wasn’t too much to report game wise, weather wise the conditions were worsening with very strong wind shortly followed by rather heavy rain adding to it. By the 25th minute, neither team were really managing to take control of the game. Leafe did have a few corners but none of them leading to any real chances on goal. Last 10 minutes of the first half and Leafe were slowly getting into the game more, Ryan Gondoh created an opening for himself but shot over the bar from the edge of the box. Sittingbourne went into half time leading 1-0, Leafe had improved slightly even though they still weren’t playing as fluently as they have been early on in the season so far, the usual attacking intent was missing. 5 minutes into the second half, a great cross in from Briggs Ojemen wasn’t quite met from either Omari Hibbert or Aaron Watson who just couldn’t get on the end of it. The Leafe goal did finally come though in the 53rd minute, Omari Hibbert with a decent finish to beat the goalkeeper. Ryan Gondoh was really starting to cause the Sittingbourne defence trouble with his runs. One of those runs resulted in a penalty awarded to Leafe when Ryan was fouled by the goalkeeper rushing out, he picked himself up and confidently converted the penalty with his usual facing the other way technique before turning to take it. Ryan was involved in Leafe’s 3rd goal as well, brilliant play to get himself into the box and managing to square it perfectly to Omari Hibbert to get his second goal of the game, putting the ball into the back of the net. Sittingbourne pulled a goal back completely against the run of play in the 74th minute which made the less 15 minutes slightly more uncomfortable than it needed to be. Ricardo Thompson limped off in the 81st minute and was replaced by Helge Orome. Sittingbourne weren’t giving up, getting forward and looking quite dangerous but luckily not really testing the Leafe goal. They did have one final chance in the 92nd minute, ball crossed in but headed wide. A deserved win for Leafe in the end but Sittingbourne certainty didn’t make it all plain sailing. 3 points and up to 4th in the league. Next up is Burgess Hill Town under the lights at Church Road this Tuesday 27th October!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: