Tuesday 20th October 2020

ashford united 2 whyteleafe 0. homelands stadium.

isthmian league south east division. attendance – 202.

Another game, another penalty not given to Whyteleafe. Unfortunately I don’t have the video evidence this week like in previous games but a foul on Aaron Watson in the box looked an easy decision to give a penalty for but the referee for whatever reason didn’t seem to agree. The Leafe fans who made the trip to Kent were left witnessing a bad day at the office. After the FA Trophy game a few days ago, the starting lineup reverted back to players who had played the majority of the season so far even though Ryan Gondoh unfortunately missed the game through a slight injury but should hopefully be back for Saturday. The 90 minutes was pretty much consistent in that Ashford were the better team and fully deserved the win, have to give Ashford credit as they gave the Leafe players no time on the ball at all and closed them down instantly for the whole game. Ashford took the lead after just 7 minutes making their early pressure count with a decent finish into the bottom left of the net. Then the penalty which wasn’t given in the 18th minute, Omari Hibbert getting completely wiped out and the referee playing an advantage correctly. But Aaron Watson took the ball into the box with the Ashford defender tripping him up and the ref didn’t give the penalty much to the dismay of the Leafe players. 7 minutes later and Ashford doubled their lead, the ball taking a big deflection on route to goal leaving Tyler with nothing he could do about it. Just over a minute later and Ashford almost had their third goal but the ball ended up in the side netting. Whyteleafe did start the second half better managing to hold onto the ball better and Aaron Watson had a chance but just dragged his shot across goal. After that Ashford were back to frustrating the Leafe players in limiting their possession and the quick closing down. Ryan Atkinson limped off through injury half way into the second half. Tyler McCarthy was forced into making a decent save in the 74th minute with the Leafe defence playing themselves into trouble and Ashford getting the shot away. Even with the 8 minutes added on time, Leafe couldn’t find a way past the Ashford goalkeeper. We move onto the next one on Saturday with another trip to Kent, this time to face Sittingbourne!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: